A couple of days ago, my Thinkpad T42 laptop suddenly could not boot up for some reason. No problem, I thought, I would run the IBM Rescue and Recovery program to recover my operating system as well as personal files, which I back up every week. The restoration went exceptionally well that I only loss about 4 days worth of data. The bad news is Outlook 2003 started to act strangly. When I started Outlook, the status bar told me that Outlook is downloading my messages to the Inbox. The problem is, I did not see any of those messages. I searched and searched and could not find them anywhere. After almost a day of troubleshooting, I was ready to give up and thought of re-installing Office 2003. Then I remember my good friend Duong and went to him for help. This is a big blow to my pride because I used to be an Outlook tester. It turned out that Duong had a solution for that, and it worked.
Here are the steps that I did, based on Duong’s advice:
- Back up my data (.PST) file
- Delete the current Outlook profile
- Repair Office 2003 (or Outlook 2003)
- Run Outlook afresh
If you don’t know how to perform these steps, you can search for them at http://support.microsoft.com